Stories, musings, inspirations, and adventures from a mother, storyteller, artist, and forever child.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Sophie's Art Workshop

"Come on kids, let's do art!" Sophie shouted. She was playing with her neighborhood friends inside our compound.

Art work by Sophie and friends :-)

In the house, I groaned. My little girl was a ringleader who enjoyed rounding up willing kids and bringing them into the house to play with her toys, decorate masks, make stick puppets, or whatever inspired her at that particular moment. The kids in the neighborhood were well acquainted with our "art cabinet," a small cabinet with paper, scissors, glue, sequins, feathers, embellishments, and other art materials, and welcomed any chance to come into the house to participate in our little arts and crafts activities.

I was looking forward to a relaxed, quiet Saturday morning. Much of my work happens on weekends, thus a free Saturday was a rare gift, and highly treasured and appreciated. I had planned on sleeping in, or curling up in the sofa with a cup of coffee and a good book. That's not going to happen now, an inner voice whispered. Oh well.


Sophie had rallied the kids into chanting "We want paint! We want paint!" All of the kids looked at me excitedly as they chanted. I sighed, then smiled. "Okay kids, I'll get the paint." They cheered. I rolled my eyes and entered the house to get the materials.

My husband and I decided to set up Sophie's art studio in our tent outside of the house. I felt like I was facilitating another Make Believe workshop, but with my husband as my co-teacher. It was actually fun watching him interact with the kids, reminding them about proper behavior in a teasing way, and teaching the younger ones how to soak their brushes in water before dipping these in a different color of paint. One of these days I will prevail on him to teach a music class with us. He's a natural! (Teacher Pipo...has a nice ring to it, don't you think?) 

It was a fun, busy morning. Here are some pictures from Sophie's little art studio:








When they were done, I hung rope across the tent and mounted their paintings:

Pretty paintings :-) Great job, kids!

I hustled and bustled the entire morning refilling their water cups, getting more paint and paper, fixing little tussles over space and the use of the materials, and cheering them on. It was tiring, but Sophie was so, so happy. It was obvious how thrilled and excited she was - she even led them in a mash-up of What Makes You Beautiful, Firework, and One Thing as they painted. She was in her element, sharing something she loved doing - making art - with her dear friends.

Seeing her bright, sparkling eyes, her ear-to-ear grins, her happy bursting into song, and her joyful, overflowing generosity towards her friends was well worth the hustle and bustle. Hers is a sweet little heart bursting with kindness and eagerness and love. She is happiest when she gets to share her time and her things with others. It always is a sight to behold. And I wouldn't trade watching that for all the sleep and coffee and books in the world. 

Kid, how you amaze me. I am so, so lucky to have you. You teach me something new every day. I aspire to be as generous and as eager hearted as you. 

Besides, their entertaining mash-up gives me the idea to start a neighborhood kiddie band with her and her friends ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment